Monday, March 26, 2012

It's a new fucking day.....

It's a new day you mugs! It's a new day full of potential and promise, just up to you and me to grab our own shit and get after it. More on this and some other crap soon but......

A New Look
Being 'at speed' all the time has it's advantages and also some disadvantages. Obviously one is never bored, but it's easy to miss things that are right under your nose...I'm certainly guilty of that. Our own Mr.Vile; "Redbird"....also known as Chris Vial and 'Hey you....with the My Little Pony teeshirt...yeah you!" in places that let his particular brand of riffraff hang out, came to the rescue with exactly what I needed. Yet another case of someone pulling my goofy butt out of the mess by pointing out something.......obvious. 
(face palm)

So, now that I know where all the fancy buttons are plainly displayed.....I'll be working on formatting to better use screen size and display pics a little bigger. 

If there's a change you think would improve the mess here let me know and if it's no sillier than some of my better known tricks I might just add it in.


CONTENT!!! No shit....
I'll have some more interesting content for you soon too, I've been working on some things to give this joint structure....at least a little, even a 2/5ths bender starts off with that first drink. 

I'm going to running a monthly or possibly bi-monthly interview series. You'll likely not see TV Toughguy chopper builders or anyone talking about living/supporting/growing or anything else to do with a scene or movement. Everyone knows someone like that, but those folks tend not to be the average person cool enough to swing a leg over a bike, and that's who we're looking for. 
Could be you, your mailman, the kid that carries the groceries to your car or maybe your own family member. If you know someone who fits the bill, ping me and we'll try to work something out.

The first few are lined up; we'll chat with a landspeed record holder, an adventure/fitness/wellness/motorcycle riding mama and a real live honest to tarmac Coffeeshop Cowboy from the old days of London's ring road and the original Ace Cafe. More to come soon....

...and now back to our regularly scheduled bullshit......

I warned you all recently about the dangers of paying attention to what we spend on these goofy damned projects. Unless you plan to impress your accountant or the greaseballs you hang out with (it ain't gonna work for that hottie down the way) just don't do it. It only hurts.....hurts bad...and will make you cry. 

Your buddies will all sympathize for around .003 seconds....long enough to inhale a good breath to laugh at you with.

Your accountant LOVES that shit.....money moving is money in his pocket....you think I'm lying?

The hot girl(or dude...for you female types) down the building that you've convinced yourself thinks you're dark and edgy? Yeah...she thinks you're dumb. They all do. Don't fret...it's normal.

But....I did it. I do it every time. I pile up what I spend on these fucking things and I tell myself 'NEVER AGAIN!!'.....each time. But I do it, over and over....I know I will, I'm weak...I admit it.

This is what $1120 looks like.
1) Trial Tech Vapor computer.
Follow the link to read up, but it's an entire race dash in one tight little unit. I'll do a post on this piece specifically when it comes time to set it up but it's a neat little runt.

1) Motogadget M-unit......electrical brain/hub/thing.
It's smarter than me....could be said about most things, but this one is REALLY smart. It eliminates all the turn of the century.....ok, pre-1920.....electrical bullshit.
Loads of info after the jump.......

1) Oregon Motorcycle Parts reg/rec unit.
It's the basis for a solid electrical system and if yours is older than 20 years you owe it to your bike to get one that's up to date and current. At idle the 920 made a respectable 12.05v and it climbed to a lackluster 12.60v above 2500rpm....lame.
Tony's units are all really well designed and are set to a static 14.5v which will make the battery happy. I've used Tony's parts of all the bikes I've wired, never had a single disappointment.

1) Giant case of GM Weatherpack connectors and special crimp tool.
Pretty much the standard for current wiring harnesses, these connectors have specially designed seals that keep water and gunk out of the connection meaning no corrosion and goooood long service. Yehaw!

14) Little spools of wire.
This shit is made of pure unspoiled powdered virginity, this shit constitutes $300 of the bill. Pretty colors and enough to wire the next 4 bikes so I guess it's not too bad I'll quit my pissing and moaning.....

2) Spools of braided sleeve.
It's expandable nylon sleeving that protects the harness and can be serviced later without having to rewrap the entirety of it. It's pretty tough and abrasion resistant so that's a good thing, especially on a bike.

3) Spools and one package of shrink tube.
I hate electrical tape, it's junk. I hate butt-crimp connectors, they suck.
If I can help it, I'll do all soldered joints with shrink tube to protect them.

Not shown is the horrifically expensive and very bitchen LiFepo battery I'll be running on this brute. Ibought a Shorai but ended up giving it to a pal who was in need. If he gets me some cash then I'll be good, if not...I'll still buy another one I'll just make him take all the fat strippers for a year or two.

Every crimp connection you make, every crap twist and forget splice you added, in addition to whatever the previous owner doofus of your particular scoot (and mine) added.....each one adds a little resistance load to the system. Crappy connectors corrode, wire oxidizes over time....it all adds up to a beating for your electrical components, low charging voltage, poor starting and poor performance.

This evening begins the real work of rewiring this beast. First thing is to get the tank and seat off...no bog deal there. Other crap's gotta come off like the OE clocks and ignition switch, the OE fuse block and all the goofy shit they hung on the harness from the factory. Once it's nekid I'll get to stripping off the harness itself and then I'll decide where to stick the individual components.

So there's some bike content for you all to chew on today.

In honor of things with dimples that cause lust and coveting......

This started the 'dimples issue'

.....but I can appreciate dimples......

I see nothing here to complain about....

...aglukihgna'opjud; noiHDF plkdfho......oops....sorry, my brain shorted out there for a sec, did I miss anything?

err....uhh....we were talking? Umm...won't that get in the way of the all the appreciatin'?


I heart ass































































I got nuthin' else....go be good humans.
Buy less, fight less, fuck more...you know....





No comments:

Post a Comment